Replacement Windows Buying Tips & Advice
How do you know when you need new windows?
- Your home feels drafty in cold weather or uncomfortably hot from heat penetrating in warmer weather.
- Your heating and cooling bills are high - and keep getting higher!
- Your home's existing windows are faded or cracked, making your home look old, dated or in poor condition.
- Your windows are difficult or impossible to open or close.
- You're spending far too much time working on your old windows - scrubbing, painting, puttying and re-caulking them.
- You're planning to sell your home and know your current windows will lower the re-sale value of your home.
Replacement Windows buying tips
TIP 1: Become an educated consumer so that you can make smart decisions about this major investment. You deserve the best value for your hard-earned dollars, and you want windows that you will never need to replace again.
TIP 2: Select windows with frames and sashes made from premium-grade vinyl. Technological advancements over the past decade make vinyl the best material choice for energy efficiency, durability, low maintenance and beauty.
TIP 3: Choose "custom-made" windows. Though the initial purchase price may be higher than standard-sized windows, custom-manufactured windows are the best value in the long run because installation is faster and little to no "cosmetic" work to the inside or outside of your home is required. Plus, an exact fit means better thermal performance and lower energy bills!
TIP 4: Replacing windows is a great way to give your home a fresh, new look. Consider all the various styles, custom-shaped windows and colors in which windows are now available. Today, window options offer new benefits never imagined before - from enhanced security and protection against damaging UV light to sound or energy control and greater comfort.
TIP 5: Select ENERGY STAR qualified windows and doors from a manufacturer that participates in the ENERGY STAR program. With continuously rising energy costs, high-performance products will keep your heating and cooling bills lower - and provide a greater level of comfort for your home.
TIP 6: Choose windows from a specialty window dealer or home-improvement company that offers products from a reputable manufacturer. Research manufacturers, keeping an eye out for positive feedback, longevity and growth. Consider what past purchasers say about the company's products, and pay special attention to its warranties.